Operational Control Room Manager
£28,665 - £30,817
Number of Positions
26 Mar 2017
Formerly the Highways Agency, Highways England is the new Government company that operates, maintains and improves England’s network of motorways and major A roads. This network is around 4,300 miles long and while it represents only 2 per cent of all roads in England by length it carries a third of all traffic by mileage as well as two thirds of heavy goods traffic. We have around 3,500 staff based in seven offices around the country including a uniformed Traffic Officer service in control centres and patrolling key areas of the network. Highways England is accountable to two bodies who act on behalf of the public – The Office of Rail and Roads monitor the performance of our highways and Transport Focus champion the needs of road users.
Highways England are currently looking to recruit an experienced Operational Control Room Manager to joinh their team in Darlington. We are looking to interview on the following dates so any candidates applying must be available for interview on either the 09th March 2017 or the 10th March 2017.
- Day to day Management of the Network Control Centre Team, ensuring delivery of high quality service
- Ensuring the service level targets are met, development of action plans where they are not
- Liaison with Emergency Services, Stakeholders and Highways England Traffic Officer Service.
- Ensuring close liaison between NCC and M&R Contractor regarding incident response
- Delivery of effective, compliant NCC severe weather functions as defined in SWP and business management systems
- Delivery of effective, compliant NCC Incident Response functions as defined in IRP and business management systems
- Full management responsibility of all staffing issues to ensure adequate staffing cover and skill levels (including performance, development, timesheets, annual leave, sickness etc).
- Meeting financial targets including budgetary management
- Production of standard monthly reports and ad hoc reports as required
- Ensuring close liaison with Programme and Network Occupancy Team to ensure compliance with Road Space Management processes and procedures.
- Ensuring the collation of information relating to Green Claims working with the Highway England Traffic Officer Service, Police, M&R contractor and Commercial Team.
- Acting as Severe Weather Officer as and when required(normal working hours) (Verification duties out of normal working hours by agreement)
- Acting as Silver Manager as defined in the IRP/CMM (normal working hours) (Out of normal working hours by agreement)
- Working closely with the Commercial Team to capture costs on Green Claims.
- Ensuring personal and team compliance with Highways England Health, Safety and Environmental Policies and Procedures.
- Liaison with the Facilities Management Team to ensure NCC room and furniture is fully operational minimising disruption to NCC Functions
- Liaison with ICT to ensure NCC ICT equipment and systems are fully operational minimising disruption to NCC functions
- Assistance in development and deployment of new systems and equipment within NCC
- Production and Maintenance of NCC processes, procedures and plans.
- Representation of Highways England at internal/ external stakeholder and business management meetings
- Contribute to improvements which minimise risk to the health, safety and welfare of colleagues and stakeholders and carry out any tasks identified to the post in the Level 2 and relevant 2a Organisational Health & Safety RACI charts
You must have:
- Membership of appropriate professional body (ICE, IHE, CIHT) - desirable
- CSCS Management - desirable
- IOSH Managing Safety - desirable
Skills and attributes:
- Prior experience Control Centre management (Desirable)
- Prior experience with Winter Treatment Decision Making. (Desirable)
- Airwave Communications System protocols and procedures
- Schedule of Roadworks HAPMS
- Experience in Winter Maintenance Process and Procedures
- Understanding of Meteorology and weather forecast interpretation
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must have a valid passport and right to work in the UK which will need to be produced at interview stage.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Download Full Job Description