Smart Motorways Programme, 5 St Phillips Place, Birmingham
£40,188 - £44,208
Number of Positions
27 Feb 2017
Highways England is the new government company charged with driving forward our motorways and major A roads. Building on the successful 21 year heritage of the Highways Agency, we maintain and enhance the most important communications network in the country, the Strategic Roads Network. A network valued at just over £104 billion, which carries approximately one-third of all road traffic in England and nearly two-thirds of all heavy freight traffic.
We are responsible for modernising and maintaining the highways, running the network and keeping traffic moving. Over recent years investment in our highways has increased. This has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However even more is planned to be done.
Our vision is to be the world’s leading road operator which means that we need to become a high performing organisation. It's an exciting time to start a Highways England career. With £11 billion to invest in major road improvements over the next 5 years, there’s an opportunity for you to be part of something special.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: http://www.highways.gov.uk/highways-england/
As Programme Efficiency Manager this role is charged with ensuring Highways England delivers a high quality of Efficiencies Data Capture, Management and Reporting, and Knowledge Management to deliver its Smart Motorways Programme (SMP) targets, in a safe, customer and delivery focussed manner.
The responsibilities of this role are:
- Driving improvements in health and safety performance where practicable
- Demonstrate and engender Highways England values; Safety, Integrity, Passion, Teamwork and Ownership.
- Work with the PMO team to develop and deliver the corporate SMP objectives
- Establishing and refining a Programmatic approach to Efficiency capture, management, assurance and reporting specific to the Smart Motorway Programme to ensure ongoing control and governance of the Efficiency Process and enable achievement of Smart Motorways Programme’s contribution to the Efficiency KPI
- Work with the PMO, Programme & Project teams and wider Major Projects’ division to develop, provide continuous improvement and deliver the SMP Efficiency Strategy
- Provide regular timely programme & or project efficiency reports to inform the SMP Programme Board decision making process
- Provide co-ordination and standardisation of Project Efficiency Managers and collate all reports. Identify efficiency themes and programme efficiency reports.
- Manage the interface across organisational boundaries with development partners, Major Projects Portfolio office division and central Commercial team for efficiency reporting and management.
- Line management responsibility for a small team to ensure consistently high quality of service provision, process, assurance and reporting.
- Act as the focal point and provide professional and technical guidance and advice for Efficiency Management and Value Management.
- Develop close working relationship with the SMP PMO and SLT, to ensure Efficiency requirements are fully understood and addressed at both Project & Programme level
Skills and experience required
- Demonstrable evidence of developing and implementing Efficiency and Savings solutions in a complex organisation linking performance to commercial outcomes
- Demonstrable experience of working in multi-million pound programmes, providing and driving strategic improvement plans and consistency of approach at programme and project levels
- Experience of capturing and analysing Value Management and Engineering Data
- Demonstrable experience of leading and managing teams in project and programme environments
- Demonstrable experience of engaging with a wide range of stakeholders across multi-disciplinary programmes and projects
- Proven capability of engaging effectively with staff at all levels and with different levels of understanding.
- Experienced in the use of Value Engineering tools and techniques (including Management of Value)
- Skilled and experienced in Project and Programme Management methodology and techniques (APM, Prince2, MSP)
- Proven capability of understanding risk management techniques.
- Knowledgeable in various forms of contract, specifically NEC and the various treatment of quality as a consequence of varying contracts
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must have a valid passport and right to work in the UK which will need to be produced at interview stage.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Download Full Job Description