Commercial Delivery Director (RIP)
Commercial & Procurement
Birmingham or Manchester
Number of Positions
17 Apr 2017
Highways England is the new Government company that operates, maintains and improves England’s network of motorways and major A roads. This network is around 4,300 miles long and while it represents only 2 per cent of all roads in England by length it carries a third of all traffic by mileage as well as two thirds of heavy goods traffic, making it the backbone of the country.
We have around 3,500 staff based in seven offices around the country including a uniformed Traffic Officer Service in control centres and patrolling key areas of the network.
Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased leading to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done.
Certainty of funding and greater flexibility will enable us to become a better business in line with our vision to be the world’s leading road operator which means that we need to become a high performing organisation.
It's an exciting time to start a Highways England career. In our first 5 years alone, we’ll invest £11 billion in motorways and A roads – boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety. At the same time, we’ll improve how we work. That means we will be able to plan roadworks better to minimize disruption, clear incidents more quickly and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently.
Highways England is held to account by two bodies who act on behalf of the public – The Office of Rail and Roads monitor the performance of our highways and Transport Focus champion the needs of road users.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: http://www.highways.gov.uk/highways-england/
Highways England are currently recruiting for a Commercial Delivery Directors to support our Regional Investments Programme (RIP) to be based in either Birmingham or Manchester.
As the Director of Commercial Services within RIP, you will be responsible for developing and owning the programme commercial and procurement strategy to realise the programme objectives and goals and directing the provision of a commercial service within the programme. Your will align the programme strategy to the overall Highways England’s commercial and procurement strategy and policies, and draw specialist support from the Commercial and Procurement (C&P) directorate.
You will be embedded and co-located with the RIP programme. As an integral part of the senior leadership team for the Programme, you will manage service delivery to the programme, understanding and defining the business needs, priorities and potential challenges within their area of expertise, taking action to mitigate risks and maintain financial propriety within a regulated framework.
Reporting to the Commercial Delivery Director, you will be a critical link between the programme and the C&P directorate, maintaining strategic alignment, ensuring the programme is receiving the right support and services both from Highways England C&P team, as well as supply chain providers of C&P services.
- Hold the responsibility for achieving successful commercial outcomes for the programme.
- Provide clear and consistent strategic commercial leadership for the programme - inspiring, challenging and performance to achieve delivery objectives.
- Deliver a high quality commercial service within the programme that enables and supports the successful delivery of the programmes goals and objectives;
- Ensure the programme has the right commercial capability and capacity, through a mix of directly employed staff and supply chain support.
- Drive improvements in health and safety performance ensuring effective practice is promulgated to staff and partners and carry out any tasks identified to the post in the Organisational Health & Safety RACI charts.
- Contribute to the development of the corporate C&P strategy and translate these objectives into the programme strategy to meet the programme goals and objectives.
- Promote Highways England's reputation through building visible and effective partnerships with the supply chain, contributing positively to the development of the collaborative agenda whilst raising expectations on supplier performance.
- Own and act on supply chain performance measurement in Health, Safety, Time, Cost, Quality and Behavioural indicators.
- Working alongside the Programme Director and as an integral senior member of the senior programme team, responsible for providing C&P expertise, identifying needs, understanding priorities and potential risks, and ensuring that solutions are defined in order to support better delivery.
- Act as the conduit for the passage of knowledge and best practice to and from the Commercial Services and Procurement Directorate, supporting a culture of continuous improvement.
- Provide subject matter expertise for the programme and develop the teams commercial capability and resource.
- Lead the assurance of the programme efficiency targets; identifying efficiency opportunities and driving the supply chain to achieve efficient delivery.
- Lead the effective cost driven management of all programmes and projects; support project directors and managers through effective commercial assurance and delivery through the project life cycle.
- Provide the programme matrix line management for the draw down of commercial and procurement services.
- Lead and develop the commercial relationships with external stakeholders
- Lead the management of PFI, Financial and Legal support to the programme
- Contribute to the strategic planning of the programme and provide input to future Road Investment Strategies.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Delivering at Pace - Translate strategic priorities into clear outcome-focused objectives for managers and provide the energy and drive in achievement of these objectives
- Collaborating & Partnering - Build effective and high performing teams operating within a matrix structure, aligned to stakeholder and business goals
- Making Effective Decisions - Articulate options and large-scale reputational risks and impacts, including economic, environmental, political and social, and recommend plans to manage and mitigate.
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes - Manage strategic commercial relationships and delivery arrangements actively and effectively to provide ongoing value for money to the tax payer
- Leading & Communicating - Lead from the front, communicating and motivating people towards stretching goals. Actively promote the Department’s reputation externally and internally – publicise successes widely. Inspire staff and delivery partners to engage fully with long term vision and purpose of the Department, supporting them to make sense of change
- Experience at strategic management level in a relevant role and/or sector.
- Proven ability to contribute to and communicate strategic organisational aims to ensure alignment with the corporate vision.
- Capable of leading, building and motivating a diverse workforce to high achievement.
- Strong strategic influencing skills, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering value for money outcomes in sphere of influence.
- Significant and demonstrable experience of leading and managing commercial teams including matrix management at a senior level.
- Expert knowledge of NEC forms of contract
- Involvement in determining cost drivers and cost comparison in an infrastructure environment and experience of using cost capture, analysis and interpretation into intelligence
- Professionally qualified, RICS, ICE or equivalent
- Capable of working collaboratively with the supply chain and partners to achieve successful outcomes, with the ability to strategically align partnerships through joint venture delivery.
- Proven track record of deliver greater value through supplier relationships and commercial models
- Ability to lead change in a commercial environment
This is an exciting time to join Highways England and we keen to receive applications from driven and ambitious individuals who can drive the strategic development and capability of the project. In return we offer a great working environment with flexible working hours and plenty of opportunity to progress your career. Interviews will be taking place in April 2017.
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all required skills, experience and qualifications as outlined above are clearly demonstrated within your CV.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Download Full Job Description